At Evolve Salon & Day Spa we know sometimes heading to a color appointment can be a bit daunting if you aren’t sure what you want, or maybe if it’s your first time seeing that stylist. Well, we want to put your worries to rest and make your hair color experience the best it can be! Being able to communicate your needs and desires effectively will help us best understand you and get you the perfect result. Whether that’s a subtle change – or a complete makeover! So, look over this list of tips and ideas that might help make the most out of your next salon visit…..
Things to keep in mind before you head to the salon:
• Try to walk into the salon with your everyday “look,” so your stylist can get a feel for what your “norm” is.
• If you have the time, do a little research into color science. Knowing the difference between terms like demi-permanent and permanent color can help you and your colorist communicate more efficiently. And if you don’t have time, no problem – your stylist should be able to tell you the difference and explain which is best for your needs/goals.
• Your colorist is there to work with you to achieve beautiful color. The more you can explain what you want, the better the collaboration will be. Also have in mind where your comfort zone is – but don’t be too afraid to maybe step outside your comfort zone just a little. Remember: if you’ve chosen a highly trained stylist, they have the tools and knowledge to make suggestions that will best compliment your skintone, features, maintenance goals etc.
• If you are going in for “corrective color” – to correct color results you are unhappy with from a prior coloring experience – be prepared for a longer visit, as your colorist may need to remove old color and then recolor your hair.
Salon prep checklist:
• Bring your inspiration: Photographs and examples of haircolor you love will help you and your stylist explore your color options – and ensure that you both mean the same thing when you say, “honey blonde” or “scarlet red.”
• Know your history: Be prepared to tell your stylist about any prior color services, whether it was highlights last year or a color gloss last month. It is always best to offer FULL disclosure – even if you are embarassed that you colored your hair with store-bought color. Your stylist needs to know what is on your hair so that the best results can be achieved.
• Trust your stylist: Listen to your stylist’s expert opinion. During your color consultation, he or she will consider your desired result, then evaluate your hair’s condition and look at your skin tone and coloring in order to create your custom color formulation. Don’t be afraid to speak up, but also be open minded to hear your stylst’s valuable suggestions.
• Ask questions: If you hear a color term you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to ask for an explanation. Remember to inquire about maintenance – how often you’ll need to return to the salon for touchups, and how to best maintain your color at home between visits with professional haircare products.
One other item, if you have a time restraint, be sure to ask about exact time frames when you and your stylist are deciding on a plan – some services take longer than others and while we want to work with your schedule as best we can, we don’t want to rush the delicate science of getting your color just right!
Trust at Evolve that our stylists will hear you out, we will listen closely to what YOU want and not just color your hair the way WE want. After all, we are here for you.
We look forward to seeing you for your next color. Do you have color questions? Don’t hesitate to comment here on our blog, or ask us on our Facebook page! We love questions – and we love answering them even more!